The mKettle by Ghillie Kettles!
A traditional Irish wood fired kettle for camping, hiking, and backpacking!
About the mKettle
- Why is there an mKettle? We looked far and wide but could not find an outdoor kettle that was light enough and compact enough for our needs. We designed and made it, gave it to a bunch of geologists and outdoor enthusiasts to try it out and feedback was good. mKettles have been in continued commercial production since October 2010.
- What comes in the box? Inside the custom tube (which can be used for long-term storage) are the mKettle and Firebase, Neoprene Sleeve, Nylon Bag, Stopper, and Manual.
- Where is mKettle made? The mKettle is handmade in the UK using new stock aluminium which is then hard anodized inside and out to British Standard ISO10074:2010. The Fitted Rip Stop Nylon Bag with D-Rings and Neoprene Sleeve are made by tailors in the UK with a long history of tailoring and working with specialty materials. Why do you do all your manufacturing in the UK? Because we want to and can do. Yes, it would cheaper to manufacture overseas.
- Tell me about the Stopper. The translucent silicone food-grade non-toxic Stopper is usually only supplied to the pharmaceutical industry. Biologically neutral and chemically inert the Stopper is able to withstand temperatures up to +250°C. The Stopper is a remarkable autoclavable (dishwasher safe) engineering achievement. Only insert the Stopper when transporting water.
- Is there any Warranty? Because of our engineering and testing for this product we give the mKettle a one year limited Warranty to the original owner. We know nothing is worse than a leaking outdoor kettle, which is one of reasons we made our own. Every mKettle is water tested before leaving our workshops. However, if an mKettle is faulty or leaks, we will fix it, replace it or send your money back. Simple. Please do not boil it dry as we will not warranty this.
- Can you ship worldwide? You bet. We ship first class post world wide. It takes on average about seven days to receive an mKettle internationally.
- There are many different outdoor kettles, what makes mKettle special? Some larger outdoor kettles serve different purposes. However, if you want a simple, compact, and ultralight outdoor kettle that is PROVEN to work in the field, the mKettle might work well for you.
|Weight:||370g (13 oz)|
|Capacity:||530 ml (18 oz)|
|Dimensions:||17cm (7”) Tall by 10cm (3.75”) Diameter|
|Pack:||Fitted Rip Stop Nylon - Carry Bag with D-Rings|
|Fuel:||Solid, Eco-friendly, No Gas-canisters Required; Successfully Paired With Trangia (Sweden), White Box (USA), and Evernew (Japan) Spirit Burners.|
|Boil Time:||About Six to Ten Minutes, Six If You Are Good!|
|Transport:||Use Stopper to Carry Water|
|Storage:||Space for Matches Fire Starter Inside Firebase|
How to use
- Remove stopper. Fill water chamber with water only. Do not overfill. Do not replace stopper.
NEVER boil mKettle dry. NEVER boil mKettle with stopper in place.
- Fill mKettle’s firebase with combustible materials (eg twigs, small sticks, dry grass, pine cones). Place mKettle on top of the firebase.
- Light mKettle through the hole in the firebase, feeding additional fuel through the chimney.
- Once water is boiling, remove mKettle from firebase touching only the neoprene sleeve.
- Extinguish flames in firebase with excess water.
"HARD ANODISING" EXPLAINED
Anodisation is primarily used to toughen up the outer shell of the aluminum and is also an easy way to add color to your piece. What the process actually does is creates a aluminium hydroxide layer on the surface of the metal. After the process is complete the aluminum is no longer susceptible to nicks and scratches to the surfaces because the pores of the metal have tightened up creating a harder surface.
The result of hard anodising is that you get a thicker stronger coating which is approximately 2-4 times stronger than the normal Anodising process. It's as close as you can get to titanium while still using an easily machinable aluminum and stronger than stainless steel, with the added benefits of being lighter (a necessity when camping or travelling long distances) boiling water quicker and, importantly, unlike stainless steel, it won't rust!